1 (one) position,
based in Tasikmalaya District - Bandung Field Office
West Java is a province with the highest potential risk of natural disasters in Indonesia, where 98 percent are hydro meteorological disasters (floods, landslides). It also experiences frequent drought, earthquakes and volcanic activities. It is home to 17.2 million children, or 33 % of the total west Java population. Vulnerability in Java is high due to high poverty, large population, low human development index and a high unemployment rate. These characteristics exacerbate the impact of a disaster on communities since they do not have resilience to deal with disasters and to bounce back. When cross referencing the Disaster Risk Index (National Agency for Disaster Management (BNPB), 2013) and the level of poverty, there are many districts which have both a high disaster risk threat and a high level of poverty.
The responsibility for disaster management is decentralized to the district, municipal and provincial government levels, with support from BNPB and national government agencies when required. Since the gap in emergency preparedness and response is mainly at provincial and district levels, therefore, it is important to focus preparedness interventions at district level and on the most prone districts where we have existing projects. Focusing on EiE (Education in Emergency) and CPiE (Child Protection in Emergency), the project aims to increase resilience and strengthen preparedness of schools and communities in the most-prone-to-disaster-districts in West Java, namely Tasikmalaya, West Bandung and Bandung districts. The interventions will be conducted through strengthening capacity and improving preparedness plans of school, communities as well as strengthening the capability of key district government actors in education and child protection sectors; which built upon the Comprehensive Schools Safety (CSS) program. This project will also strengthen the roles of District Education Office and Disaster Management Office (BPBD) at the provincial and District levels, and continue to sensitize and roll out the Child Protection Minimum Standards in Humanitarian Interventions (CPMS) to Academics/University, CSOs and youth groups. Teachers and students will be both the main beneficiaries as well as the agents of change. As gender inequalities remains the problem in Indonesia, and West Java in particular, the project will look into gender vulnerability related to disaster.
The Project Officer will support the implementation of IDN CEF Building Preparedness and Resilience through EiE and CPiE/CEF Project. The Post holder will ensure quality and timely project implementation in line with the overall planning framework, and in compliance with Save the Children and donor policies and procedures. In close collaboration with DRR Program Coordinator, DRR Specialist, Project Assistant, and MEAL Officer, the post holder will contribute to succeed CEF project implementation as planned and met as scheduled and up to the expected standards and quality benchmarks. He/She will contribute to maintain the relationship of Disaster Management and Education stakeholders, academics/university, non goverment and civil society, volunteers and communities in mutual respect and focused to the best interests of children. He/she also will contribute quality and timely implementation of activities of the project in line with the overall planning framework, and in compliance with Save the Children and donor policies and procedures.
The post holder will contribute on achievement of the global KPIs on Operations Delivery, and contribute to achievement of global KPI’ as follows:
· Awards management
· Risks and financial management
· Global Management Indicators
· Humanitarian and Emergency Response
Reports to: DRR Project Coordinator
Dimensions: The post holder will work internally closely with DRR Project Coordinator, DRR Specialist, Project Assistant and MEAL team to lead implementation of project activities in the district level.
Staff directly reporting to this post: n/a
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Manage daily project activities based on CEF project detailed implementation planning and log-frame
· Prepare supported documents (ToR/Term of Referencee) and working together with Project Assistant to prepare project activities
· Contribute on delivering high quality programming of CEF project in line with the objectives of the Country Strategy and Central Indonesia Area strategy.
· Provide techinical guidance, coaching and mentoring on DRR particularly on Safe School program activities to partners, consultants, volunteers and other parties who implementing the CEF project in the field and ensure all parties comply with SC policies and the program objectives.
· Conduct field visit for monitoring and coaching on CEF project activities to the asissted schools, communities and maintaning good relationship with all parties
· Provide updated information related to project implematation, proposed monthly planing and budget activities under the PO’s respectives activities to the DRR Program Coordinator/manager
· Provide monthly project activities report and submit the report to DRR Program Coordinator/Manager
· In collaboration with the MEAL officer provide, collect, document and report the monthly project data related to project’s KPIs
· Implement and follow up Complaint and Feedback Mechanism to ensure safe environment for children when implement project activities under her/his responsibilities in ways responsive to the communities, and children in line with Save the Children principles, values and strategic plan and following Save the Children compliance procedures.
· Provide input to ensure timeliness and quality of donor reports of CEF project.
· Contribute on ensuring information exchange with key local government officials (Disaster Management Agency, Education, Child Protection, and Social Welfare offices) and other key stakeholders (schools, private, NGOs/CBOs) to maximize their participation in the delivery of project activities, and advocate for sustainability and scale up of Save the Children good practices.
· Identify and promptly communicate to the DRR Program Coordinator/Manager in responding of any problems during project implementation.
· Communicate and coordinate with related support departement for getting support for procurement, HR, IT and Communication
· Provide input monthly projection as per agreed Individual Work Plan (IWP) contributing the achievement of actual versus forecast
· Ensure effective and efficient use of resources in line with Save the Children policies and procedures and donor requirements.
· Ensure the application of appropriate and accurate expenditures and administration requirement of cash advance of staff under her/his responsibility.
· In collaboration with Project Assistant coordinate with the finance department to produce accurate and timely cash return and financial reports.
· Provide input annual and monthly procurement plan based on the detail implementation plan
· In collaboration with Project Assistant coordinate with the logistic department to getting support on logistic in implementation project activities
· Follow logistic and procurement procedure for activities that will be conducted.
Humanitarian Response Management:
· Participate the Indonesia Emergency Response Team and respond on emergencies in Central Indonesia Area in line with global SCI emergency policies.
Brand and Reputation:
· Contribute to ensuring all staff are aware and are actively involved in building and maintaining the brand in all project field sites and with all project external stakeholders including partners
Facilitating Transformational Change:
· Promote culture of high performance through implementing necessary processes to measure performance against key indicators at field office level.
Growth, Impact and Development:
· Contribute to the implementation and integration of quality humanitarian and development programmes, including allocation of resources and ensuring that appropriate controls are maintained at all levels.
· Contribute for the real shared ownership and collaboration among SCI staff, partners and other stakeholders at area office level.
Communication and Representation:
· In coordination with DRR Coordinator/Manager represent Save the Children with the Government, Donors and Members in Central Indonesia Area for DRR work.
· Maintain clear and effective communications with other project teams at area office
· Contribute to maintaining relationships with host government authorities, donors and partner agencies, the UN system, and local and international NGOs including other members of Save the Children for the inclusive education and child protection information and knowledge.
Building the Team and Change Leadership:
· Support initiatives to build and maintain a high performing, accountable, motivated team, leading and engaging partners while also attracting new talent to the organisation.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Program Implementation:
· In coordinaton with DRR Coordinator/Manager contribute on manage partners; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate them regularly
· Actively participate in internal weekly/monthly project meeting, thematic program meeting, area coordination meeting and general staff meeting
· Support documentation of partner performance (if any) that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans.
· Any other task & responsibilities given by the Supervisor and to comply with Save the Children and Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik’s policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external Partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Minimun Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work or Social/culture study or equivalent in a relevant field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Knowledge and skill on Disaster Risk Reduction particular Safe School Program
· Good communication skills and ability to work in a team as well as to assist in official correspondence.
· Basic knowledge and experience administration, logistic and finance affairs.
- Fair understanding of children’s issues in Indonesian context and child right based program.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written in Bahasa Indonesia and English
· Good communication skills both verbal and written in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Ability for problem solving, show initiative and work independently.
· Ability to response to requests, queries in timely manner
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues and external partners.
- Proven ICT skills of Microsoft program (Excel, Word Excel and PowerPoint) and internet.
- Basic knowledge of development issues and interest in the sector Child Right Governance in general will be a strong asset.
- Work experience in a non profit organization will be an asset.
- Understanding of Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik’s (Save the Children) aims, value and principles including right-based approaches
- Preferably has worked with Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik or familiar with Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik administration procedures and mechanism will be advantages
Information for internal candidates only:
Current Save the Children employees should inform their line managers before submitting an application.
To apply for this position, please click and go to our career site on
Internal applicant: here
External applicant: here
Closing date for application is up to 26 May 2019
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified)
Please visit our website for more info https://www.stc.or.id/join-us/karir
Save the Children encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation or disability
All recruitment practices and procedures reflect Save the Children’s commitment to protecting children from abuse