KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning:
- Oversee the provision of technical advice during program planning and designing phase, ensuring that input, output and outcome level results are logically linked to country strategic plan; to review process and performance indicators of the project in view of project goals and objectives. Participate actively when project demands are high or support the relevant MEAL manager to do so.
- Oversee the accountability mechanism and ensure appropriate improvements are made and that feedback is effectively incorporated into design and adaptations.
- Lead planning of needs assessments in coordination with external sector agencies, where required, ensuring assessment findings are documented and include an analysis of children’s needs.
- Lead planning, implementation and follow-up of internal and external research and evaluations (real time evaluations, evaluations of humanitarian action, project evaluations etc.) including technical oversight and support.
- Provide quality assurance for MEAL related events, including review of ToRs for major MEAL related consultancies, baseline and research and evaluation designs and reports and, to be present at the validation/dissemination meetings for baselines, research pieces, and evaluations
- All learning is documented and shared via the relevant protocol and stored for knowledge management purposes.
- Key project learning milestones or initiatives are shared with senior management and the board as and when applicable.
- Influence program design by applying existing research and learning form the foundational theory of change.
- Oversee program KPIs, their delivery and advise on any relevant improvement processes.
Institutionalize Organizational MEAL Culture
- Lead the development and implementation for Save the Children’s overall MEAL framework in line with the Save the Children’s MEAL maturity model
- Lead an integrated CO MEAL system for development and humanitarian programs; including measurable standard thematic indicators, standard procedures and processes, corresponding data collection and reporting tools and guides
- Assume leadership for the coordination and harmonization of programme and project MEAL efforts through facilitating cross-learning and sharing of technical resources.
- Coordinate with the support of the technical advisors, awareness raising of SCI MEAL maturity model and support implementation of country office commitments to Save the Children’s MEAL vision
- Support Awards, Finance, PDQ/TAs and Operations to implement a MEAL compliance strategy towards donor commitments, especially in project start-ups, implementation and phase-outs.
- Oversee the roll out and utilization of standard MEAL procedures, processes, standard thematic indicators, corresponding data collection and reporting tools (such as MEAL plans, MEAL master budget, output trackers, IPTTs, quality benchmarks, database systems).
- Ensure regular communication and information sharing to MEAL framework stakeholders.
Knowledge Management - developing and disseminating learning products:
- Lead the development of learning products such as Fact Sheets, policy briefs, policy position papers, publications, etc. and innovative ways of packaging such products for children and young people.
- Build repository/stock of these learning products (including evaluations and recordings of Asia Learning Series)
- Lead the management and implementation of learning outlets such as evidence days/events, webinar series, and professional talent development of CO staff in child rights programming, community participation approaches, MEAL and research among others.
- Be a champion in the development of an organizational culture for knowledge sharing and cross learning.
- Support the development and implementation of a strategy for essential document management and information security for institutional memory and advance organizational learning including procedures and systems for electronic and hard copy filing and transfer and sharing of information.
Country Strategy - Demonstrating outcomes for Children:
- Bring and apply cutting-edge thinking and best practice at all stages of the research and evaluation processes including child led/child sensitive approaches
- Develop regular dissemination outlets e.g. fact sheets, policy briefs, evidence events etc and including child friendly versions
- Lead the development and implementation of a coherent and coordinated research and evaluation strategy so that all projects are supporting evidence generation which demonstrates what works for children in Indonesia, in what context and why, if not, why not?
- Undertake analytical work on quality child rights programming to generate sectoral and cross thematic learning’s on trends and opportunities for YSTC to achieve better outcomes for children
- Participate in the country strategic planning process and ensure oversight and tracking of its implementation.
- Manage interdependencies with other functional teams e.g. Advocacy and operations for strategic initiatives across Save the Children to ensure alignment to our country strategy
Team Management, Mentorship, and Capacity Development:
- Overall line management and matrix management the MEAL team, ensuring appropriate support and capacity development is provided.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for MEAL and other staff and work as a mentor and role model for MEAL staff and MEAL focal persons; and identify career and professional development opportunities for MEAL team
- Collaborate with the HR department on Talent Management to ensure department talent is identified and staff have clear career development pathways
- Conduct training and awareness raising activities for operations and programme technical staff at field and country office level regarding MEAL priorities and quality standards.
- Bring research, analytical and critical thinking to the entire programme life cycle and especially to the thematic technical advisers, elevating and enhancing their role.
- Enhance CO’s capability in research and evaluations through designing and implementing effective capacity building measures
- Ensure appropriate efficient and effective staffing within the team to be able to carry out major MEAL functions.
Networking and Partnerships:
· Establish and maintain strong working relationship with other technical leads (thematic and cross functional), regional MEAL team, Save the Children Members, and Academia to initiate, adapt or test new practices, approaches or methodologies with a view of improving outcomes for children and our ability to demonstrate and showcase that impact.
· Attend selected working groups or external meetings to showcase evidence.
· Support the capacity development of our strategic/implementing partners in research and MEAL.
Humanitarian Programme and Standards
· In collaboration with the humanitarian team, ensure and support integration and implementation of MEAL systems that are compliant with the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
· To ensure that the minimum standards are maintained in accordance with the CHS for emergency response programmes.
· Oversee and carry out regular MEAL visits to humanitarian programme in order to support the development of MEAL tools and gather evidence that will inform the design of new emergency interventions and ensure quality programming for beneficiaries.
· Ability to operate with flexibility in the event of a humanitarian crisis