Communication Officer – Eastern Area
(Code : CO – EA)
1 position based in Kupang, NTT
The Communications Officer will support the area and national office by producing quality communications (text, photos, and multimedia) following Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik’s communication protocols. The post holder will be the key focal point for any communication, campaigns and media contact with national office, donors and stakeholders (including media). Critically the Communications Officer will support the recruitment and retention of Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik’ supporters by gathering stories of program work to be used by the fundraising team.
The post holder is the guardian of our brand in the area and will ensure communication materials both meet the communication and brand standards of Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik and are focused on the best interests of children. In collaboration with Program Development and Quality Manager and Program Managers, the post holder will ensure that project information is updated, packaged and shared to others within the organization and externally. In collaboration with MEAL Coordinator, the post holder will contribute to the accuracy and quality of reports that require case studies ensuring they meet the expected standards and quality. The post holder will also ensure quality and timely implementation of communication activities (including campaign and advocacy initiatives) in line with the overall planning framework, and in compliance with Save the Children and donor policies and procedures. The post holder will have an important role for emergency response particularly for category three and four responses that usually fall under area responsibility.
The post holder will contribute to the achievement of the global KPIs on Operations Delivery, and contribute to achievement of global KPI’ as follows:
• Awards management (primarily reporting)
• Global Management Indicators
• Humanitarian and Emergency Response
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Area PDQ Manager, with technical (dotted) line management to Communications Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Dimensions: Save the Children in Indonesia is changing for the better. We've begun to build a national organisation that aims to be a strong, local, and self-sustaining voice for children in Indonesia namely Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik. To this end, the Yayasan has been designated as a “Prospect Member”. As ‘Prospect Member’ Indonesia has been identified as part of the next wave of new member development, which focuses on strengthening and localizing our voice for children in strategic middle income countries. Indonesia has been authorised by member ballot to start fundraising locally as a first step towards building a financially sustainable local organization. Future work will also involve developing a strong local governance structure and building key partnerships with local government, the private sector, local civil society among others. Success of the pilot phase will set the Indonesia on a pathway to full membership.
Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik is establishing two Area Offices in 2016 as part of its ambition to strengthen program implementation to reach more children with quality programing and facilitate policy changes that will improve the lives of many more. One of these Area Offices will support programs in Eastern Indonesia from Kupang and one will support programs in Central Indonesia from Bandung. For these Area Offices, which are located in existing offices that are hubs for program operations, we are recruiting additional staff across the program quality, support and communications functions to ensure there is adequate localised support and oversight of our growing program portfolio.
In Kupang the Eastern Area office will support implementation in the field offices of Kupang,TTU, Belu, Sumba, and Lombok.
Other field offices, both new and existing, will likely be added under the Areas Offices as we grow and reorganise our portfolio.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Strategic Planning :
• Contribute to the development/updating of the Area Program Strategy and Area Annual Plans and Reports
Program and project design :
• Collaborate with Area PDQ Team in the development of program logframes, indicators, implementation plans, MEAL plans and communication plan.
• Contribute to proposal development for area related opportunities; focusing on communication plan
• With the PDQ Manager, balance needs/requests of Save the Children global members, donors and external partners to ensure quality results in communication activities
• Lead the development of the area connunicatiion strategy and plan
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building :
• Build the technical capacity of project staffs, partners and local counterparts to ensure that communication innitiatives, activities or products meet high quality standards.
• Provide credible and effective guidance to colleagues involved in development of communication materials related to the project, theme and area
• Develop and review information-related manuals, guidelines, tools, approaches, strategies/activities and other materials.
Communications, Reporting & Knowledge Management :
• Collect stories (text, photo and multimedia) from the programs in the area
• Develop regional stories libraries (text, photo and multimedia) as the regional project repository
• In collaboration with MEAL officers, update information of all project activities and achievement and translate it into project briefs
• Manage internal and external publications at the area level and design and produce periodic area newsletters and factsheets
• Facilitate communication with Provincial governments, particularly for Annual Work Plan signing and reporting, as well as regularly update the progress of all projects implementation
• Review all communication materials produced by the area office, including program related communication material and edit and facilitate adequate sign off of all reports and stories before publication.
• Support Program Managers to develop case studies as required for Country Annual Report and donor reports
• Identify Program activities worthy of reporting on and continuously liaise with program staff for information.
• Facilitate the translation into relevant local languages of various documents and materials as needed
• Update website contents for the respective area, with relevant materials (texts and photos)
• Ensure good administrations and documentations system for the development of communication activities and products
• Provide reports or updates to Supervisors in regular basis.
Events and campaigns :
• Assist in organizing events (including media, and partner visits): logistics and documentations;
• Work with Program Managers to document important program related events.
• Coordinate with national office Communication and Media team for all communication materials and media inquiries
• Assist in writing press releases and features articles related to activities and events in area level.
• Assist in media outreach, media inquiries and media monitoring for local media.
Humanitarian response :
• Gathers pictures and information for assessments at onset of emergencies in the area.
• Leads the preparation of situation reports ensuring inputs from key department leads.
• Supports media coverage and proposal development through stories and pictures.
• Ensure that the minimum standards and Communication Guidelines and Protocols of Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik are implemented and adhered to throughout programme implementation in the area.
Brand and Reputation:
• Ensure that all materials, and project activities and events properly display the Yayasan brand through designing visibility materials (banners, apparel, merchandise) according to program team needs
• Contribute to ensuring all staff are aware and are actively involved in building and maintaining the brand in all field sites and with all external stakeholders including partners
• Ensure the parents of any children featured in our stories and publications provide consent and that no communications activities with children (or adults) is in any way harmful to the child.
Growth, Impact and Development:
• Support robust learning culture where teams and individual staff can share openly successes and failures for continuous improvement at organisational and individual levels.
• Participate to identify innovative and best practices in order to leverage opportunities and enhance the potential for delivering greater value in the field office and ensure that teams collaborate to best effect.
• Engage the staff, partners, and other stakeholders at field office level to create real shared ownership and collaboration.
Internal Communication and Representation:
• Facilitate clear and effective communication among the team in the area and ensure staff are aware of area program activities through production and sharing of communications materials and events.
Building the Team and Change Leadership:
• Support initiatives to build and maintain a high performing, accountable, motivated team, engaging existing managers while also attracting new talent to the organisation.
• Any other tasks & responsibilities given by the Supervisor and to comply with Save the Children and Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik’s policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik values
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
• Widely shares their personal vision for Yayasan Sayangi Tunas Cilik, engages and motivates others
• Future orientated, thinks strategically
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
• Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency
• Always acts in the best interests of children
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor degree, preferably in English, Journalism or Development.
• Excellent English language skills, written & verbal
• High level of initiative – ability to work independently with little supervision
• 3 years experiences in communications and design.
• Proven creativity
• Experience working in an international organization is advantaged
• Significant experience with professional writing
• Excellent computer skills – MS Word, MS Publisher, MS Excel, Adobe, and Publishing Software
• Excellent planning and communication skills, English and and Indonesia
To apply for this position, please click and go to our career site on
Internal applicant : https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/in/jobsearch.ftl
External applicant : https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
Closing date for application is up to February 19, 2019
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified)
Please visit our website for more info https://www.stc.or.id/join-us/karir
Save the Children encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation or disability
All recruitment practices and procedures reflect Save the Children’s commitment to protecting children from abuse